11 Ways To Use Salt
*Get more FRUGAL Articles, tips and tricks from Raining Hot Coupons here*
11 Ways To Use Salt
Salt is something most of us use every single day. Most use it for seasoning foods and baking, but what about other uses? It can be used for cleaning around the house, in beauty routines and it even works as a sickness remedy! Check out the 11 different ways you can use salt around the house and in everyday life:
- Lettuce: Next time you prepare chopped lettuce, sprinkle salt over the leaves to keep the leafs crisp and fresh.
- Artificial Flowers: A really easy way to clean and dust artificial flowers is to use salt! Simply place the flowers in a paper bag with a small amount of salt. Shake the bag several times and your flowers will be good as new!
- Sore Throat: One way to soothe a sore throat is to gargle with warm water and salt. Not only will the salt and water kill bacteria it will also ease the burn of a sore throat.
- Sponge Soak: If your kitchen sponge is looking a little worse for wear, save it with salt! Soak the sponge in warm water with salt overnight, this will restore the sponge and kill bacteria.
- Deodorizer: Salt and lemon are a great way to deodorize your garbage disposal. Simply slice lemons and coat with salt and send them down the disposal. This will freshen the pipes and remove any stuck on grime and waste. Make sure to run cold water while using the disposal.
- Remove Lipstick: Stemware and glasses have a tendency to hold on to lipstick marks. To remove these marks simply rub the marks with salt before washing. This works for coffee stains as well!
- Fresh Eggs: To test if your eggs are still good, place them in a bowl of salted water. If the egg sinks it is fresh but if it floats it’s an old one!
- Set Colors: If you want to keep your towels looking good, add one cup of salt when you wash them for the first time. Do this for a few washes for best results!
- Cooking Time: While salt won’t make your pot of water boil any faster, adding a pinch of salt will cook food at a higher temperature and reduce cooking times.
- Fridge Cleaner: Next time you clean the fridge, try this! Mix together soda water and a few pinches of salt and give the fridge a good scrub. The salt texture is perfect for removing grime but won’t damage your fridge.
- No Drip: To prevent candles from dripping wax and making a mess, soak them in a strong salt solution. Do this for a few hours and let them dry completely for a no mess solution.