*Get more RECIPES from Raining Hot Coupons here*
*Pin it* by clicking the PIN button on the image above!
Other than chili, I don’t know if I can think of a soup more popular these days than potato. And like chili, there are a number of different versions of potato soup. This version has quickly become my family’s favorite. It can be thrown together in 2 or 3 minutes and put in your slow cooker, or you can choose to make it in a pot on the stovetop. I have done it both ways. And you can buy all the ingredients needed for this soup at one of my favorite places to shop and save money on my grocery bill: Aldi.
Let me tell you, there is a point when “the magic happens” with this soup. It will start looking like potato soup pretty quickly, but keep cooking. You want to wait until the point when the starch comes out of the potatoes and thickens this all the more into the rich, creamy dish it is meant to be.
And don’t skimp on the salt here. Potatoes need a lot of seasoning, and there are a lot of potatoes in this soup. If it makes you uncomfortable, start with 1 teaspoon and then add more to taste when the soup is almost done cooking.
You can eat this soup just as it is, or dress it up with garnishes such as shredded cheese, crumbled bacon or scallions.
6-Ingredient Cheesy Potato Soup
- 1 bag frozen hash brown potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth (I prefer low-sodium)
- 1 8-oz. brick cream cheese
- 1 T. minced onion
- 1 ½ t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a stock pot on the stove top or in a slow cooker.
- For slow cooker: Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-6 hours. This is one dish I do lift the lid and stir to combine after an hour or so of cooking.
- For stovetop: Cook, stirring occasionally, for about an hour.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, bacon bits, scallions or a combination of toppings, if desired.