*Get more recipes from Raining Hot Coupons here*
“PIN IT” If you like it (by clicking the button below)…
REPIN it below:
Follow me on Pinterest:
Cake Pop Recipe
We’ve all seen them standing there, tempting us as we get our skinny vanilla spice latte at Starbucks. Round, delicious balls of cake on a stick, coated in some fabulous chocolate coating. I figured there must be a way to make them at home, even with my kids, and there is! Follow these easy instructions to make beautiful cake pops that are perfect for Valentine gift giving.
- 1 box cake mix and ingredients to bake it (listed on the box)
- 1/2 can frosting that compliments the cake flavor/color
- 24 oz meltable candy coating, in a flavor that compliments your cake
- 40 lollipop or cake pop sticks
- Decorations such as nonpareils, sprinkles, nuts, etc
- Long Styrofoam "plank"
- Bake the cake in a 9x13 pan as directed on the package. Let cool.
- Crumble the whole cake into a large bowl.
- Microwave the frosting for about 20 seconds, making sure no foil is left on the package. Stir. If the consistency is soft and smooth, pour about half of the container into the crumbled cake and mix. Try to form a ping-pong sized ball. If the cake sticks together well without cracking, you can continue to make balls. If the cake cracks, add more frosting. (I usually use about 3/4 of the container.)
- Place the formed balls on a cookie sheet and freeze for 20-30 minutes, until chilled throughout.
- Melt the candy coating over a double boiler. When smooth and melted, dip the end of a stick into the coating and press into a cake ball, standing it on it's top so the stick is in the air. Continue with the remaining balls.
- Start with the first pop you worked with, dip in the melted coating, making sure to coat the whole pop. Let the excess drip back into the pan.
- Roll in sprinkles, nuts, etc. Press the stick into the Styrofoam and let it set. Continue with the remaining pops.
- Once they are hardened, you can place them in a sealed container for storage and enjoy!