*Get more recipes from Raining Hot Coupons here*
“PIN IT” If you like it (by clicking the button below)…
Follow me on Pinterest:
Fabulous French Onion Soup is a Crowd Pleaser!
Ingredient Notes for Fabulous French Onion Soup
I usually purchase the strongest Spanish onions I can find for this recipe. The initial saute of the onions will leave your eyes watering, but will give the soup a fabulous flavor. Slice them thin with a knife or mandolin if you have one. The mandolin will make quick work of the slicing, leaving you tear-free, or nearly so. Slice them on the “thick” setting, or about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick for best results.
For beef stock, I’ve found a good stock is best, as the flavor is thick and hearty. Beef broth or bouillon tend to be really salty, and one the salt is in, it’s hard to get it back out. Find a quality stock that you like or make your own from beef and bones by simply boiling them for a few hours. Use what you like in Fabulous French Onion Soup for a taste you’ll love.
I’ve often heard people say that you should never cook with a wine that you wouldn’t drink. Well, I don’t think I’ll ever drink burgundy, but I love to cook with it. I purchase big bottles when they are on sale for about $10. It lasts me over a year typically, as I really only use it in the winter for Crock-Pot dishes and soups. Keep it in a cool place and the flavor won’t change while you use it up.
- 5 lbs Spanish Onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 stick butter
- 3 C burgundy wine
- 3 32 oz boxes beef stock
- 3 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced into 1 inch thick rounds
- 1 lb Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender and starting to brown.
- Add burgundy and reduce by 50%.
- Add the stock and bay leaves. Simmer 2-3 hours, replacing fluid with water if needed.
- While the soup is simmering, heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lay the bread out, cut side up, on a baking tray. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and starting to brown slightly.
- To serve, place a piece of bread in the bottom of a soup bowl. Ladle hot soup over the top and serve.
Fabulous French Onion Soup Makes a Great Crock-Pot Meal
Once you get to the stage that the wine has reduced, pour the onion-burgundy mixture into your large Crock-Pot and set it to low. It will simmer and stay hot for any buffet, gathering, or holiday. Place a bowl of cheese bread next to it and your guests can serve themselves any time they want some soup. Fabulous French Onion Soup makes a perfect starter for any meal.