*Get more recipes from Raining Hot Coupons here*
“PIN IT” If you like it (by clicking the button below)…
Follow me on Pinterest:
Fresh Basil Pesto for a Fast, Impressive Dinner
Fresh Basil Pesto is the simplest pasta topping I’ve ever made. With fresh ingredients like crisp green basil, Romano cheese, and extra virgin olive oil, you’ll have a bright flavor in mere minutes. It takes longer to cook the pasta that it does making this delicious Fresh Basil Pesto! The sauce is the main reason I always growing basil in my garden. With a trip to a local farmers market, though, you’ll be ready to make fresh basil pesto too!
Fresh Basil Pesto, Fresh Ingredients Fresh Sauce
The ingredients for Fresh Basil Pesto are pretty simple: a couple of handfuls of fresh basil, freshly grated Romano cheese, a clove or two of garlic, and extra virgin olive oil. While I grow my own basil, this early in the spring it’s not ready. So I checked out a local farmers market, and they had sandwich bags stuffed full of basil for only $1! I quickly snatched up 3 bags and headed home to whip up Fresh Basil Pesto for dinner. I have to say, that was the best three dollars I’ve spent in a long time!
- 2 C fresh basil leaves, washed, dried, and stems removed
- 1/2 C grated Italian cheese (Romano, Asiago, or Parmesan)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 C extra virgin olive oil
- cooked pasta
- Place the basil leaves, cheese, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend to chop coarsely.
- Trickle olive oil in while pulsing or blending, adding until the sauce is a thick yet fluid paste.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add over cooked pasta and toss.
Extra Fresh Basil Pesto? Freeze It!
On those rare occasions I have leftover Fresh Basil Pesto, I grab an empty ice cube tray, fill it with pesto, and freeze it. This is also a great way to to have fresh pesto in the middle of winter when fresh basil is not available. Simply take out a few cubes, let them thaw, and you’ll have fantastic pesto year round. So grab up all the basil you can find, and make a big batch of Fresh Basil Pesto today!