*Get more RECIPES from Raining Hot Coupons here*
*Pin it* by clicking the PIN button on the image above!
Yummy! This chicken is SO tasty! If you’ve never had General Tso’s chicken then you are missing out. It takes a few ingredients you may not have laying around your kitchen but trust, it’s definitely worth making! Enjoy…
General Tso’s Chicken
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 5 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 green onions
- 4 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 3 egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Mix the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into the chicken broth.
- Place the chicken in a large ziploc bag and spoon in 10 tablespoons of the hoisin wet mixture. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 1 hour.
- In a skillet add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil,green onions, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in 2 cups of hoisin sauce mixture, add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Stir constantly until thickened.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites until foamy, set aside.
- In a separate, whisk together cornstarch, flour and baking soda, then add remaining hoisin sauce mixture and stir until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Heat 4 cups oil in a lager pan over medium heat to 350 degrees.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator. Drain chicken from marinade.
- Place on paper towels and pat dry.
- Toss chicken into the egg whites until coated.
- Toss in cornstarch mixture and coat well.
- Fry coated chicken in batches in hot oil until chicken is golden brown. (About 3-4 minutes)
- Transfer fried chicken to a large bowl and toss with warm sauce.
- Serve warm. Garnish with sliced green onions and optional sesame seeds.