*Get more recipes from Raining Hot Coupons here*
“PIN IT” If you like it (by clicking the button below)…
Follow me on Pinterest:
Ham and Swiss Shepherd’s Pie is a great way to use up leftover ham and gravy from Sunday dinner as a brand new dish! My family can only eat so many leftovers. So I try to come up with new ways to use the meat, veggies, and sauce. This is one of those recipes. Fast and simple, it will be on your table in less than an hour. Add a salad as a side dish (try Asian Cucumber Salad) and it makes a well rounded meal in one pot!
I love to make this the first night we have the meat. Make it up in a dish that can go from fridge to oven and all you have to do is come home, heat the oven and pop it in! You really can’t get much faster than that for dinner. Leftovers, if there are any, are great the next day for lunch too.
You can also change this recipe up with different meats and cheeses, making it very versatile to whatever leftovers you have. Beef and cheddar or smoked Gouda is amazing, as is chicken and shredded Parmesan. The possibilities are quite endless!
- 2 C leftover ham, cubed
- 3 C ham gravy
- 1 16 oz bag mixed vegetables, frozen
- 2 C mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 8 oz pkg shredded Swiss cheese
- chives, diced, optional for garnish
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a 3 qt casserole, place the gravy and stir in the mixed vegetables. Add about 1/4 C water if needed to thin out the gravy.
- Add the ham and stir.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, egg, and 4 ounces of cheese.
- Cover the gravy mixture with the potato mixture, like frosting. Seal the edges with potatoes.
- Place in the oven and bake until bubbly, about 30-45 minutes.
Make-Way-Ahead Ham and Swiss Shepherd’s Pie
If you are a family that makes up meals ahead of time and freezes them, freeze this in individual containers for an easy quick meal on the go. Toss it in the microwave for a few minutes on about 75% power and you’ll have a good meal in minutes when you don’t have time for much else.
Don’t eat the same meal for days when you make a big ham or roast. Worse yet, don’t throw it away when your family gets tired of it. Make it into something new and try Ham and Swiss Shepherd’s Pie. Or Beef and Swiss, or, well, just about anything you have! Ham and Swiss Shepherd’s Pie will become a favorite leftover meal.