*Get more recipes from Raining Hot Coupons here*
“PIN IT” If you like it (by clicking the button below)…
Follow me on Pinterest:
If you want to feed this one to a crowd, boil the potatoes ahead of time and reheat them in the microwave. Or, even easier, toss it finished into a Crock-Pot on low. Stir it every once in a while to keep it from sticking to the sides.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 T flour
- 1 T sugar
- 1 t celery salt
- 1/2 water
- 1/4 apple cider vinegar
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover and 1/2 t salt. Heat to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain and place in a bowl; set aside.
- In a saute pan, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a bowl, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Saute the onion in the drippings until tender and clear. Add the flour, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and cook over low heat until the mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; add the water and vinegar. Return to the heat and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the bacon back in.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes and toss gently. Serve warm.
Hot German Potato Salad for Picnics
While this makes a fantastic side dish in the winter, it’s also great in the summer! Serve it up with your hamburgers and hot dogs, or even at a hog roast! Amaze your friends and family with this dish and skip the mayo based salad. Also a plus, you don’t have to worry about the mayonnaise making anyone sick! I always worry about that at hot summer picnics.This post may contain affiliate links or sponsored content, read our Disclosure Policy.