This wonderful post was submitted by a “Raining Hot Writer” (read more about how you can write a frugal and helpful article and get paid for it here). Thanks, Jessica….this is a fantastic idea and does work!
I always hated cleaning the microwave, not sure If that just me. But between splattered sauces, melted and crusted cheese, and who else even knows what the kids put in there, I have despised this chore.
There is actually a really simple solution that does not require noxious fumes from oven cleaners that have to sit for an hour before they “work” … and even then you need a butter knife to scrap things out of there.
A very simple solution to getting that microwave looking new and smelling good again is actually one of those “duh, why didn’t I think of that” solutions.
- Grab a bowl, coffee mug, or any microwave safe container that can hold a soapy wash cloth that has not been wrung out. Put the wash cloth in the container; throw that bad boy in place the container in the microwave, set the time for about 3 minutes.
- When the buzzer goes off be really careful because the container and wash cloth are going to be scorching hot. This is where having tough skin or dish washing gloves come in handy, if you don’t have either like me, just take the container out and let it cool a bit until you can tough it without being burned.
- It may not look like it but most of the hard part of the job has already been done! Just take the wash cloth out of the container and wipe down the microwave. All the stuck on yuckies are now soft enough to be wiped right off with very little effort.
- If your wash cloth gets too cold or you got sidetracked and the container sat in there too long, just turn it back on for a few minutes and give it another go.
- Use a dry towel and wipe out any water or soap that accumulated in there and you are all done.
Congratulations, your microwave should now look as good as new!