There is a list below of specific foods and how long they will last in the freezer:
Times are based on a freezer set at 0 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. Storing and eating frozen foods past these deadlines isn’t dangerous, but flavors and textures will begin to deteriorate.
- Chicken or turkey pieces, uncooked: nine months
- Fruit pies, unbaked: eight months
- Fruit: 6 to 12 months
- Steaks, uncooked: 6 to 12 months
- Butter: 6 to 9 months
- Lean fish: six months
- Roasts, uncooked: 4 to 12 months
- Chicken or turkey, cooked: 4 to 6 months
- Chops, uncooked: 4 to 6 months
- Shellfish, uncooked: 3 to 6 months
- Hamburger: 3 to 4 months
- Bread and cake: three months
- Cookies, baked or dough: three months
- Meat casseroles, cooked: three months
- Fatty fish: 2 to 3 months
- Soups and stews: 2 to 3 months
- Ice cream and sorbet: two months
- Ham, cooked: 1 to 2 months
- Bacon: one month
Now, the question is….how long DO YOU find food lasts in the freezer? What are YOUR tips and how do you do it? ALSO, please tell us how you defrost or use these items when they are frozen. Sometimes I find that I freeze a bunch of stuff and then when it comes to using it, I’m not sure what to do next!
Also, one reader asked me, How do you freeze cheese and can you? What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks, Real Simple for the list above